2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | 🡆 Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Dionisio's Blender Work

Blender arts can go here.
Ella
Tutorial Creator

Re: Dio's Blender Work

Post#11 by Ella » 28 Dec 2018, 09:04

Dionísio wrote:
27 Dec 2018, 21:59
Thank you @@Ella! I always enjoyed drawing, but just started in the 3D world about two years ago. I think the most difficult parts of learning 3D are the "core concepts" - there's still so much in Blender (and 3D in general) that I have no idea how to approach. Just after hours and hours of videos that I started to look at textures in my models and go: "Oh, wait, I think I get how metal works now!" :fb_wow:
My learning is based on watching tutoriais, not understanding a part of said tutorial and searching for another one for the parts I missed the information. :fb_haha:
Dionisio, it's all so recognizable :lol: Only the drawing, I've never been able to do that. Not in an acceptable way... :roll:
I still watch Blender tutorials. And the more I see, the more I realize how less I know :?

Dionísio wrote:
27 Dec 2018, 21:59
tim wrote:
27 Dec 2018, 18:46
You guys better watch out for OMG replicating these blender works in GIMP as he seems to do well.
I would love to see this! Many of my works in GIMP are inspired by him, with his tutorials I'm slowly starting to understand Bevel Reflect Logo... But I still struggle a lot with Chisel and Carve. :hammer_head:
OMG has already copied many of my Blender projects in Gimp.
Every time I think it's impossible, he manages to make something beautiful out of it.
I'm always very surprised about that. Here are a few examples

https://www.gimplearn.net/viewtopic.php ... Feline.png

https://www.gimplearn.net/viewtopic.php ... &start=560

https://www.gimplearn.net/viewtopic.php ... ck.den.png

https://www.gimplearn.net/viewtopic.php ... &start=350
Ella's gallery My Blender work - Ella
My Blog - Le temps perdu

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
(Leonard Cohen)

dinasset_1
Script Coder

Post#12 by dinasset_1 » 28 Dec 2018, 20:15

Dionisio,
may I suggest you to change your "nickname"?
"Dio" is "God" in Italian, hence here in Italy the title sounds as "God's Blender Work", which is a bit….ambitious.

oldmangrumpy
Tutorial Creator

Post#13 by oldmangrumpy » 28 Dec 2018, 21:45

Tin, Ella and Dionisio- thank you for your comments about my Blender equivalents in GIMP.

Of course I could not let them pass without offering my GIMP version (personalised) of the Blender knife above; not intended to be a copy, just my interpretation ...
Attachments
knife_blender_in_GIMP.png
knife_blender_in_GIMP.png # (425.3 KiB) Viewed 3577 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile)
Senior's moments are just part of a lifelong learning experience - never stop learning
OMG's: Downunder Art Thread | Gold Ring Addiction

Issabella
Script Tester

Post#14 by Issabella » 29 Dec 2018, 06:05

Awesome what you have done, OMG. I admire your creativity and good artistic talent to reproduce such an outcome. :gimp_learn_olympic_medal:
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

Ella
Tutorial Creator

Post#15 by Ella » 29 Dec 2018, 10:58

Both great outcomes, Dionisio's Blender knife and OMG's reproducing of it in Gimp. Well done both :fb_like:

@Dionísio can you explain the meaning of low poly and high poly, I don't know what it means.
My Blog - Le temps perdu

(Leonard Cohen)

Dionísio
Forum Member

Post#16 by Dionísio » 29 Dec 2018, 20:17

dinasset wrote:
28 Dec 2018, 20:15
Dionisio,
may I suggest you to change your "nickname"?
"Dio" is "God" in Italian, hence here in Italy the title sounds as "God's Blender Work", which is a bit….ambitious.
Oh, no problem. I will change the title. In Brazil we call God "Deus", so I didn't knew about the implications on others languages.
Last edited by Dionísio on 29 Dec 2018, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.

Dionísio
Forum Member

Post#17 by Dionísio » 29 Dec 2018, 20:47

@oldmangrumpy Beautiful work! Very nice outcome. Could you tell me how you approached this result? I like these kind of art in Gimp but never managed to get a nice outcome that looked 3D.

@Ella "High poly" and "low poly" in 3D is a term used a lot when making objects for 3D games.
The more polygons (vertices/quads/triangles) a object has, more "heavy" it will be on the computer - it can start with a little delay/"lag", or resulting in the software crashing if you go too overboard - too many modifier subdivision layers, by example.
Usually, people make a high poly object to transfer it's details to a mesh (object) with less vertices.
For simple renders sometimes this process is unecessary, but if you plan to do, let's say, a game object you would need it to be nice looking but not too heavy, so the game would run smoothly. It's also useful in animations, because if you have an object with less polygons the render time will be smaller.

If you have the time, this tutorial of the knife I posted is exactly about that; And it teaches you how to "transfer" (called "bake") the details of the two objects (the low poly and the high poly). The final "low poly" model had something about 1000 ~ 2000 triangles, where the low poly had more than 100000. But looking at both after transfering (baking) the details of the high poly to the low poly you almost can't tell the difference between them.

But how low is low poly and how high is high poly depends on where it would be used. There's no fixed number (as long as I know, I always got a bit confused about this).

oldmangrumpy
Tutorial Creator

Post#18 by oldmangrumpy » 30 Dec 2018, 01:37

Dionissio - thanks for the comment. As you requested, below is my approach FYI :D

Typically I do not 'plan' exactly what I am going to do – I just try things out that I feel will work. Sometimes they do and sometimes they do not. Below are more details -

1. Drew the knife outline and individual components using paths
2. Created the base layer for the knife handle using BRL and my 'gemclear' emap (glass)
3. Created 5 or 6 extra layers for the knife handle, again using BRL and a couple of other metallic emaps and the Steel Pencil gradient.
4. Applied various blend modes and opacity levels to these layers to achieve the desired effect
5. For the handle knob (end) decoration, again used paths and a couple of BRLs with 'wood' emaps
6. Again applied blend modes to suit – one was 'saturation' which gave me the red knob
7. To achieve the four circular cut outs and the half cutout at the top of the handle -
  • 7.1. Drew a path and stroked it with black, beyond the edges of the handle
    7.2. Used GMIC/SAMJ/Couleurs Metailliques to style it
    7.3. Used Chisel/Carve to indent it
    7. 4. Replicated and moved the layers to position
    7.5. Modified the look with blend mode to suit
    7. 6. Erased everything beyond knife handle
8. The 'guard' was a combination of two BRLs against shaped paths using the Steel Pencil gradient and then a bevel with Chisel/Carve
9. The blade was created as follows -
  • 9.1. With a path selection for the whole blade active, dragged the Steel Pencil gradient (linear) from bottom right to top left
    9.2. For the bottom sharp edge, used a selection from a path and filled with a foreground (black) to transparent gradient; adjusted mode/opacity to suit
    9.3. Using same path/selection enlarged beyond the blade, used Chisel/Carve for indentation and then erased those elements beyond blade (not required)
    9.4. For the tip of blade light reflection, used a path from selection and a couple of layers foreground (white) to transparent gradient, blurred one of the layers and then adjusted opacity/blend mode to suit.
10. Added the OMG indent with Chisel/Carve
11. Finally did 'new from visible', ran unsharp mask filter on that layer, duplicated it, blurred it slightly and adjusted blend mode/opacity to finish off.
12. Added drop shadow and background

Hope the above is useful.
Senior's moments are just part of a lifelong learning experience - never stop learning
OMG's: Downunder Art Thread | Gold Ring Addiction

Ella
Tutorial Creator

Post#19 by Ella » 30 Dec 2018, 13:08

@Dionísio Thank you so much for the detailed explanation, Dionìsio. These are the technical aspects of Blender, or other drawing programs, about which I actually know very little.
I haven't seen the tutorial of the knife in its entirety yet, but I will certainly do so. When I have some more time.

@oldmangrumpy I'll keep on saying: "You're a Gimp wizzard !" 💥
My Blog - Le temps perdu

(Leonard Cohen)

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | 🡆 Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic